Thursday, January 22, 2015

Rainy Day Reading

I love reading on a rainy day.  The skies are grey, the gutters fill up with rain water, trickling down to the gardens, storm water drains and underground where it all travels out to streams, rivers and finally out to the sea... 

...but no matter where you are, you can sit and watch it from your cosy little spot while you curl up with a good book - or a movie, whichever is your poison.

For me, it's normally a book.  I love to either read a book or write one.  And it's something else completely different to write a book than to read the completed object.  You see, when you're writing a book, you're continuously watching out for your characters before your reader is - or your First Reader anyway.  Then, your first time writing a chapter, you throw out all the rules and it's a matter of making sure everything sounds great, looks like fun and the story is 'vomited' onto the page as fast as possible - then, once you've done that, you save it, leave it alone for a few days and come back to it.  It's then you look at what you've written and wonder what the hell you were thinking!  

Or better still, say quietly: 'This isn't bad shit.'

But in all honesty, it's the first thing you're muttering to yourself.

I do enjoy writing a book more than writing a book though.  I think it's the mechanics of it that I enjoy as it's just wonderful to get into it all, instead of reading a book, knowing there may be a part of it that will piss you off grammatically.

And believe me there are such books.

So, on wet old days, which do you love?  Curling up with a book to read?  Or curling up with a book to write and edit?  For me, it's the one to write most of the time.  Other times, I'll jump in and read a book, and have the joy of letting my brain relax just enough to enjoy a book, but then, I'll end up proofreading it as well.  Until my next post, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment