Sunday, May 3, 2009

84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff



This was passed to me as a Bookring in BookCrossing.com and I loved it from the first page to the last. I've also seen the movie of it with Sir Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft playing the main characters; and believe me, they were well-cast! This book is a great page-turner from beginning to end.

What starts out as a one-off purchase from between a book-lover in New York and a bookseller in the UK turns into a beautiful and life-long friendship that lasts the absolute distance across the Atlantic Ocean. Even during tough times, the two manage to keep sending letters and presents to each other.
This book was one which I wished wouldn't end; and I actually slowed down my reading of it as I came towards the end to slow it down. However, sadly, it did and - as I closed the cover of this touching and wonderful book - I wanted to open the front cover and re-read it again straight away!

You can find this book for sale on Amazon.com or any second-hand bookstore in your city/town. It's well worth the read. And see the movie too; as it's just the icing on the cake.

1 comment:

  1. 84 Charing Cross Road is one of my all-time favorite books and I love the movie as well!

    ReplyDelete