Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Blank Page by John Dale


I've had this book on my shelf for years. I don't remember who gave it to me and I only read in it the last couple of years. However, it was a step back in time for me as this book was written in the 1980's; before computers, mobiles phones, cd's and the internet. This book is based on four struggling writers who are trying to get themselves published; living from one dole cheque to the next until they hear back from their agents and publishers. Each story is interlinked and based in Sydney in the mid-80's.

Being a writer myself, I could relate completely to these people. It's a tough old world out there when you're trying to get published; and it seems that nothing you do is working. So, when I picked up this book and began reading it, I was not only taken back to my time of when I decided to take my writing seriously (I was around the age of 13 or 14), but I was also very much in my element of being from the X-Generation; knowing what it's like to grow up in a world without i-pods, e-mails and mobile phones. Life was a lot simpler, but it was a lot tougher too. Simpler because people talked to each other more; tougher because it took a lot to get things done, more than today.

I've been looking around on the net for this book to let you all know where you may be able to find it. However during my prolonged searches, I've found out through google that this book is no longer in print; but the man who wrote it is a associate professor at the UTS and has written other books since and is still writing today some brilliant stuff. He published other books late last year and is currently researching a non-fiction book on terrorism.

No comments:

Post a Comment