Saturday, May 23, 2009

Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself by Alan Alda

In this book, Alan Alda talks and listens in on what he's heard himself say over his life at critical points from the ever-changing 1960's through to his first Broadway show to the present day America of September 11. He notes that 'doorways are where the truth is told' and wonders which particular things help lead a life of meaning; be it art, activism, family, money or fame. This is a candid book as questioning as it is incisive as Alda amuses and moves us with his uniquely witty meditations on questions great and small.

I found this book at a book sale and wanted to know more about the man who is Alan Alda. This brilliant actor made me laugh and giggle in MASH when I was young; and the re-runs are just as funny years later. And in this book, when I sat down and read it, I could hear his strong, quick-witted voice in my mind as I read along. As the years passed, I saw him in 'What Women Want' and found that he hasn't lost his appeal as he's a very charismatic man and will always be able to make anyone laugh through his acting or words.


Alan Alda has led a fantastic career in the leading role of Hawkeye in the famed sit-com MASH throughout the late 1970's to early 1980's when it finished. He has been acting from a young age, however never went to acting school (with the exception of playing Theatre Games) as he believed he was a natural performer and to go would ruin his gift for being a natural. Previous to this book is his other one titled: 'Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: And Other Things I've Learned'

No comments:

Post a Comment