Monday, June 1, 2009

Great Short Stories of the English-Speaking World by Various Authors (Reader's Digest)

What a book! I bought this one while wandering around Toowoomba two years ago. It cost me less than I thought it would but it's not going anywhere! I love it; yet it's only Volume 1. There's a little over 600 pages of fantastic author's works in this book from Edgar Allan Poe, Rudyard Kipling, Herman Melville, William Faulkner, Roald Dahl and H.P. Lovecraft. Also, there are authors I didn't know in this rather hefty, olive drab book. However, I didn't read all the stories at once. I find this kind of book is to dipped into like a box of expensive chocolates. I read a few stories when I bought it and put it back on the shelf. Soon, it will be time to dip into this particular box of chocolates again to read another few authors.

Reader's Digest have been around since 22nd, February 1922, and this famous company has been churning out brilliant condensed works to the public for so long that it's not hard to find a Reader's Digest book pretty much anywhere in reasonable condition. Some people collect them and so have massive collections lining their bookcases in their homes; while others will pick and choose which books they wish to have. Reader's Digest is still popular today as they are still publishing their condensed books; so they must be doing something right! Reader's Digest Magazine now appears in 50 editions, in 21 languages with more than 100 million readers per month.

No comments:

Post a Comment