Friday, April 16, 2010

Roverandom by JRR Tolkien

This wonderful and charming book by the Grandfather of fantasy is a story about a dog that had been turned into a toy by a wizard and then sent by a 'sand-sorcerer' to the moon and under the sea.  This is what's written on the inside flap of the book I own.

I have tried to read this wonderful hard cover edition I own on my bookshelves; however it being a children's novel, I found it hard to get into it.  Tolkien's words are still rich and full of description and wonderfully colourful for a child's imagination to grow within and around.  And I've found on Bookfound.com that this particular copy - with a dustcover that is still intact and in very good condition - is worth between $40 and $55 Australian.  There is a little wear where it's been bumped around along the top and bottom; but that's to be expected.

Tolkien's books can be very collectable now the films have been made.  If you're looking for something that is worth something, keep an eye on what year it's published and make sure you try for publications that work around the year Tolkien passed away (1973).

1 comment:

  1. I just love old editions, even if they aren't worth much. Sometimes there are book sales in the area. I almost always go on the last day when whatever's left is free. I found a really great early edition of C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters. No dust jaket, but all of the pages were intact. The only downside, of course, is that it doesn't have the afterward "Screwtape Proposes a Toast" as that was added in later editions. Anyways, just wanted to say that I really enjoyed Roverandom. Then again, I'm the kind of reader that enjoys The Hobbit over the Lord of the Rings (in fact, I have yet to read throught Return of the King). Thanks to your article, I'm going to go ahead and look up my edition of Screwtape Letters for the heck of it. God bless.

    ReplyDelete