Friday, July 9, 2010

Books In Verse

Seeing I'm busy reading some pretty good books, it got me thinking about the style of other books I've got in my on-growing collection.
There's a small - but select - group that's beginning to find a place in my reading list and on my Mt TBR of versed books.  These are books that tell a story but they are written in poetic verse.  This is not a new trend.  Shakespeare and other great writers of olden days have been doing this type of written work for hundreds of years; and so it's nothing out of the ordinary that it would come back into style.
While I was away in Mooloolaba on the Sunshine Coast of Queensland for the week away in May, I had 'The Monkey's Mask' with me and began reading it; not knowing it was a versed book.  From the first page, it had me hooked faster than a traditionally written book.  The way it was written moved so fast and I loved how the scenes didn't need that many words to get the feel and sense of the whole book across.  I enjoyed the first few chapters completely and found it was unputdownable.  I haven't finished it yet, but I will definitely find time after 'The Traveller' to get back into it. 

Another book I've been sent by a Bookcrosser was 'Make Lemonade' by Virginia Euwer Wolff.  I didn't get as far into this one as 'The Monkey's Mask' but this book is also written in verse; setting the scenes were easily done and the feel of it was wonderful.
So, what books have been written in verse - either from Shakespearean times or modern - that have taken you along quickly and easily?  And which ones are your favourite?

No comments:

Post a Comment