Monday, July 26, 2010

July Book Buys!


This was a good month to get into some serious reading - as you can see - and it was also a great month for sales as it's the end of the Financial Year.  So, I got out there and bought up as much as I could before the sales vanished on us for another year.

First off on the list, I bought two books from QBD at Garden City - where I have never paid full price for anything, even if they aren't having a sale.  The first book I saw was 'Home:  My Memoir of My Early Years' by Julie Andrews.  Now, I love this actor as she's so talented and have wanted to know more about her off screen.  And when I saw this book in the bargain box, I knew it was meant for me.  It's in hard cover and it's in lovely condition.  I can't wait to read it
The next one was 'The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun' by JRR Tolkien.  This was also in hard cover and I've heard good things about it.  Many books have been published posthumously by him and they have made his name more famous than ever; and this one is no exception.  I bought these two on 1st, July.
On 6th, July, I went for a walk around my local area and dropped into the nearby Thrift Shop where there's a great supply of books on sale there.  Initially, I only go in there to browse; but on this day, I ended up buying two books.  The first one was 'An Indecent Obsession' by Colleen McCullough in hard cover and the other
was 'Black Hearts' by Arlene J Chai.  The second one will be registered on Bookcrossing and posted off to a good friend of mind in Asia who loves these kinds of books.

My third purchase was an impulse buy and I really shouldn't have done it.  But looking through bookstores is something I do to get an idea of what people are reading.  I watch what the public pick up and buy so I know what I should be reading too; usually it's not what they're buying to give a wider scope for you all.  So, on this day, I was looking at the
larger tables and found 'Pop Babylon' by Imogen Edwards-Jones & Anonymous.  I've read a few of these and found them very amusing, fun and light to read.  They're not popcorn reading, but still a good fun book to get into.  This is my third one I own of the series.

So, there you have it.  My book purchases for this month.  Few and budget-orientated and yet from all over the place.  Until month, keep reading.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen the books by Imogen Edwards-Jones and wondered about them, but never picked one up. I think I will soon.

    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shan, I first heard about the Babylon books through Bookcrossing and when I saw them on the bookshelves of my local bookstore for around $10, I thought to give one a try; and loved how easy it was to get into one. They're not chick-lit, they are very down-to-earth, full of sex, language and the most off-the-wall humour I've come across in a long time. So, this is why I try to track them down when I can and recommend them to my friends as something good and funny to read; but not to heavy they'll feel weighed down by it.

    ReplyDelete