Friday, September 10, 2010

Busy Reading?

I often wonder about you guys.  I wonder what you read in your leisure time; when you're not working or studying during the year.  I don't do any paid work; so I feel I need to get my nose into a good non-fiction once in a while to keep my mind active and educated.  But what books do you read when you're chillin'?

I've been getting into some serious non-fiction reading lately of 'The Brain That Changes Itself' by Norman Doidge,MD.  What a book!  It's a bit of a hard slog for the first 80 pages or so, but once you've got the hang of the wording, you're fine.  I love how he approaches our brains and do believe that we can teach ourselves new things no matter what our age.
The other book I've been getting into is 'The Monkey's Mask' by Dorothy Porter.  It's a mystery thriller all written in a series of verse and poetry.  I love it and how cleanly it's written; and yet it's about such a controversial  subject matter.

So, do tell, what have you been up to in your spare time, before you turn out your light, on those hot Sunday afternoons when it's too hot to move from the cool verandah/porch?  What have you been getting your nose into?  What places have you been going without leaving the comfort of your homes?

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty random about my reading selection. The books that are currently in my TBR pile are ones that I bought at the only non-religious based thrift store (where I volunteer) in my town. (However, said store IS affiliated with our regional branch of the Humane Society.)

    Some books in the past (though not all) have been romances. One of the books that was on my reading list was a collection of short stories by J.D. Salinger (may he rest in peace).

    The book I'm currently on is "Sweet Hannah Rose" by Lori Copeland.

    Other things I do in my spare time are Facebook, watch TV (if there's anything good on), Sudoku, and random Net surfing.

    ReplyDelete