Friday, October 8, 2010

Birthday Purchases!

Today was a good day for book-buying.  For one thing it was raining and dull; thus a good day to read a book.  And another thing?  Well, I had in my bag of tricks my $50 QBD book voucher my wonderful friend, Nick, had posted to me.  So, once a doctor's appointment was out of the way, Mum and I went to Garden City and split up  to do our own things.  And QBD was my first port of call to see which books I'd be looking at to buy; but I ended up purchasing and not just looking.
The first one I found was in a bargain box - would you believe it? - and it was 'Last Night In Twisted River' by John Irving.  A whopper of a book but it was only $3.99 down from $35.00!  What a bargain; something I just can't pass up!  I look forward to getting my nose into this one as 'The First Tuesday Book Club' on the ABC recommended it as a great read; and now I have it in my hot little hands!
The next book I found in the bookshelves was 'Send Yourself Some Roses' by Kathleen Turner.  I love this woman.  She's a great actor and I love her movies (her most recent one was 'Marley & Me'; even though she had a cameo part, she was great in it!).  I look forward to reading this one too as I really loved her in 'Romancing The Stone' with Michael Douglas and the way she danced and had fun.
Then, I found 'Never Have Your Dog Stuffed' by Alan Alda.  I think this man is one of the funniest people on television and in the movies.  He's got a real charisma about him and it's something he had right from when he was Hawkeye Pierce in MASH... and it never went away.  I read his first book: 'Thing I Overheard While Talking to Myself' and have been looking forward to reading this one.
The last one was staring at me the whole time while I was looking through the shelves, but I didn't really notice it until the last minute.  I've been wanting to read this book for a long time 'No One Here Gets Out Alive' by Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugerman.  When I saw this one - and last one - on the shelves, I just had to have it in my hands; and thus I did!  
So, there you have it, my birthday purchases from my $50 book voucher.  I had to put in a little of my own cash, but that's the rules of passion I guess.  

No comments:

Post a Comment