Saturday, June 18, 2011

Book-Friendly Neighbours

Isn't it wonderful when you have neighbours who know you enjoy the written word?  I definitely do.  Yesterday, I was on my way to the post office and walked past one unit where a Grandmother lives with her family, Betty is her name.  She was sitting out in her carport having a smoke and taking in some fresh air when I greeted her with a good morning.  She sat up eagerly and said: "Just the person I'm looking for!  We've got a bag of books for you!" and gestured to the side door of their unit.  I walked over and found a massive, heavy-duty paper bag full of books!  I was amazed to find they were all modern books with great titles such as 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' by Stieg Larsson, 'The Jester' by James Paterson & Andrew Gross, 'Dead Man's Dance' by Robert Ferrigno, 'The Wild' by Esther Freud and two Allison DeBois books as well as a biography by Ruth Cracknell.  All up, there are twenty-one books covering quite a few genres; from mystery-thrillers, to biography to animals.  All of them have been read and now I've got them, I'm looking forward to reading them and handing them onto another fellow reader.
I do love it when a collection of books sees their way to me; and I find out what people have been reading.  Some people have a wide variety - like this person did - and others stick to just one genre.  However, it's a nice, good and cheap way of obtaining books without spending a cent on them.  Until my next post, Happy Reading!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Are theere any apartments or houses for rent in your neighborhood? Those are some AWESOME neighbors you have!! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not currently. However, I've been here for 8 1/2 years and everyone has become very used to seeing me sitting out the front of my unit reading a book in the afternoons in Winter; or cooling off in my carport in Summer in a deckchair with a bottle of cranberry juice and a pile of books next to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it WOULD be a major move for us...lol.

    I see you know what "the good life" is all about!! Enjoy!! : )

    ReplyDelete