Sunday, July 24, 2011

Books In Movies

I was reading a thread in Bookcrossing and the person was talking about the mention of books in books.  I thought it was a very cool idea of having the title of somebody else's works inside your own work; as an author (an author's way of namedropping in their own circles).
Then, I got to thinking about where I had seen this kind of thing before; and realised it was in movies where people have been sitting around reading books or have been writers or have run bookstores.  So, I'm wondering have you ever paused to remember a title of a book that a character is reading in a film?  Or if you were watching a dvd, have you written down the title and author of the book they're reading in the movie just so you can track it down and read it?
I remember when I was watching 'Finding Forrester' on dvd, I paused it right at the beginning when the camera glided up that pile of books in Jamal's room and copied down every one of the titles and authors; and tracked down a few of them just because they interested me.  There have a been other times, like in 'Kingdom Hospital' the M.E. (played by Henry Rollins) is reading a different Stephen King novel in each episode; how very ironic of him, not to mention very cool!
So, have you ever done this kind of thing?  Or do you think it's to strange to copy down a book title you've seen in a movie just to see if it's a good read.  Now you know I do, I hope you don't think I'm too strange about how I find some of my reads.  Until my next post, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment