Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Impossible Reads

Over the years, I've read some fantastic books; and I've read some horrible ones too.  However, there have been books that have really been unreadable.  I have wondered how these authors actually get themselves published - and keep on making enough money to be published again and again.  Now, I don't put down a book all that often, but when I do, it's for a really good reason.
This year, I have put down two books.  Out of eighteen books that's pretty good.  And now, I'm about to put down my third book; and it's a big one.  It's 'The Mists of Avalon' by Marion Zimmer Bradley.  Now, I've had this book on my shelves for a very long time - years actually - and I've made three attempts at reading it; and failed each time before reaching chapter twelve.  So, is it me?  Is it my attention span shortening?  Have I found better things to read other than sci-fi fantasy?  No.  It's just this book is huge and it's one of the most vague and difficult to get into - and I read over twenty pages on the weekend and when I put the bookmark back in, it didn't even look like I read any thing!
There's been another post on The New Dork Review of Books
and he has written down the most ban-able books according to him.  I think 'The Mists of Avalon' should be included; along with 'Baudolino' by Umberto Eco and 'Tipping the Velvet' by Sara Waters.  Now the last one has had rave reviews; it may have been me having problems focusing.  However, I found that once the story moved to London, it slowed right down.  I have also found 'Enchanting April' a dreadful read too; as that also slowed down to a very pensive speed just when I thought it was going to get interesting.
So what's done it for you?  What made you put down a book?  Was it how slow it was?  Focusing problems (as it can strike even the most avid reader from time to time) or was that book just bloody horrible?  Until my next post, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment