Thursday, October 6, 2011

Birthday Books!

Yesterday was my 38th Birthday and it was a very cool day; weather-wise.  Normally, here in Australia, Spring is nice and warm and sunny.  However, we ended up with a cloudy, cold day; but with a birthday to celebrate, we didn't let that interfere with occasion.
The day before, I received a parcel from a Bookcrosser in New Zealand - Sfogs - of two books.  One titled 'ShadowLight' by Mike Jefferies was my birthday book; and the other  was titled 'Unsettled' by Graham Walker.  This one was a bookring I'm taking part in and so I have to read this one before the month is out.  It's going well so far.
Yesterday, I didn't get any mail.  However, I did receive a very unusual gift from my parents:  a sewing machine.  I call it unusual, but really sewing is in my family's blood - we come from a long line of seamstresses and dressmakers.  I know how to sew, but I just don't like to.  Mum's hoping I pick it up again.
Today, I was on for volunteer work and picked up my mail at the post office of a 3kg bag from my Birthday Buddy off Bookcrossing, Froggirlwendy.  She lives here in Brisbane and is only on the other side of town; however we've never met.  We've been Birthday Buddies for a few years now; and send each other great birthday gifts each year, as our birthdays are both in October.  Today, my parcel from her arrived!  I was thrilled!  So, I took it to the Logan Art Gallery and opened it there!  There were four books - all registered on Bookcrossing - and a wrapped present for my birthday!  In the gaily wrapped pressie was two coin purse, a lovely card, a card with an inspirational quote on it, writing paper and ' 'The Lady of the Rivers' by Philippa Gregory.  The other books were titled:  'What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day' by Pearl Cleage, 'Sixty Lights' by Gail Jones, 'Death At Dawn' by Caro Peacock and 'The Mermaid Cafe' by Andy Maconachie.  None of these are on my Wish List on Bookcrossing, however, they do look like great reads!  And I look forward to reading them in the future - or better still, over Christmas!   Until my next post, happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday, mine was on Monday. No weather will stop a Libra from celebrating.

    Enjoy your books and sewing maching :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never let the weather interfere with what I'm doing; and make the most of it. I found I was always like that when I travel around the UK; however it was the complete opposite with the residents of the country. Once it began to look overcast, they canceled everything! :P

    I can't wait to get in and read those books though... they do look and sound great! :D

    ReplyDelete