Wednesday, October 12, 2011

First Reads I'd Read Again

Now, we all have a list of books that we adore; and would love to go back and re-read again at a much slower pace if given the chance.  I have a good list of them bumping around my head and thought to share them with you.  I got this idea off The New Dork Review of Books  and thought to share mine as well here.

10. 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - the Trilogy in Four Parts' by Douglas Adams.  This book is hilariously funny and I had a paperback edition of it; and once I read it, I stupidly gave it away.  So, I hunted down another copy and found a hardcover copy; this is one book I'll keep forever.

9.  'Marley & Me' by John Grogan.  If there's any funnier book about a man and his dreadfully misbehaving dog, I'd like to read it... and then see it turned into a just-as-funny movie!

8. 'I Am Legend' by Richard Matheson.  Brilliantly written novella with just enough creepy to keep me interested; along with a collection of other stories to turn this book from a before bed read and into an afternoon read within 24 hours.

7. 'Watchmen' by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons.  I don't read graphic novels often, but when I do, it's usually due to them being brilliantly plotted and subplotted and because I've heard and read great reviews about them.  This one had the best reviews and I loved it completely.  Now, I want to own it.

6.  'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury.  I had heard a lot about this book; and received it for Christmas in 2010.  Over that Christmas/New Year break, it poured rain; giving me the chance to read it.  I finished it and gave it to my Mum; who got her nose into it immediately.  We both love the way his style is so dry and yet pulled us into the story effortlessly.

5.  'Other Colours' by Orhan Pamuk.  I had never heard of this author, but his words and stories are just beautifully written ... they are like oxygen to a reader like me.  If you ever come across this book, buy it and read it.

4.  'He Died With A Felafel in His Hand' by John Birmingham.  This Brisbane writer had me in stitches about where he had lived and how many people he had shared with.  Well-written book; and I'm sure I'll re-read it at some point.

3.  'The Dead Zone' by Stephen King.  Now, who doesn't like a book like this?  Any older books by SK are sure to get a great billing from me.  And this one is most definitely up on the top rankings there with me.

2. 'Blood Music' by Greg Bear.  I have read his works before and found him amazing.  And this book has been on my Wish List for a long time to read; and last year, I got to do just that.  I am so happy I did read it; and I did take my time in doing so.

1.  'The Stand' by Stephen King.  There are two editions put out by SK of this book:  the ordinary edition we all love and know.  Then, there's the unabridged edition where they've pushed all the stuff they took out back in... I've read both, and the unabridged one bored the crud out of me.  

So, which books are in your top 10 of books that you'd love to go back and read again for a first time?  Or just to re-read for the fun of it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment