Saturday, March 31, 2012

March Purchases

I've been good in more ways than one this month!  Yes, I have.  For one thing, I didn't buy any books until the second half of the month; and secondly, the books I did buy were all second-hand and brilliant too.  Some of them were books I hadn't seen before - which is always a bonus.
These four books were found at the Springwood East Community Centre and I was there on St Patrick's Day - which so happened to be on the same day as The World's Greatest Shave here in Australia.  This latter event is something I take part in because it raises money for blood cancer research.  Anyway, here goes:
'Born on a Rotten Day' by Hazel Dixon-Cooper is a funny book that looks at the darker side of the zodiac.  Over the decades we've been hypnotised with the sugar-coated, cutsie descriptions of what our star signs mean.  Well!  Hazel has ripped the wool off this reader's eyes and made it funny in the process! 
'You Suck' by Christopher Moore is a book that I spotted immediately and picked up mainly because I know he's got a great reputation for being a hilarious writer.  So, I thought to give him a try.  Also, because I have been in a reading slump lately and usually reading a funny book or two gets me out of it.  So, I'll be reading this one soon.
'The Music and the Artistry of the Beatles' by Mark Hertsgaard.  I love collecting books about bands and musicians; as it gives and inside picture to how they tick.  So, I couldn't pass this one up.
'Native Wisdom for White Minds' by Anne Wilson Schaef.  For a long time - since I was in high school - I have had a respect for the North American Indian Tribes.  I have collected their Dream Catchers and Prayer Circles and other items as well as books and useful things for around my house.  Now, I have another book about their wisdom and words.
So, these are the books I've added to my collection this month.  Which books have you collected lately?  Have you read them yet?  Or where they gifts?  Until my next post, happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment