Thursday, July 19, 2012

Be Cool... Be Smart... Be A Reader!

I was out yesterday doing my shopping when my bus drove past a local primary school and the big sign out the front had the above on its board.  I loved it!  So, this morning, I walked up there after the children were in class and took a few photos of it.  
However, I've found that a lot of children now don't read as much as we used to when I was younger.  I have always been a reader; and it's maybe because I'm from a family where most of my relatives love to read as well.  But even then, there are children - who are from a well-read background - who don't like to read; and it makes me wonder why. With all this technology around, books are easier to get a hold of than ever!  And that's a great thing.  They can come in any shape or form you want and still children aren't reading as much as they did 20 years ago.

So, why is it that our life of everything needing to be done yesterday, X-Box, Facebook and all the other bits of right-now gadgetry that reading a book (even if it's in an e-book edition) is pushed off to one side in favour for a 3D movie?  It's something I'd like to know.  A lot of kids are missing out on something brilliant and wonderful and they possess it right inside their minds - it's their imagination.  Also this year being the National Year of Reading, I'm finding it dreadful that some children don't like books, and yet they won't try them.  So,why not try it out - something you've never tried - and see how it goes.  What have you got to lose?  Nothing, right?  Well, it is cool and smart ... so why not be a reader?  Until my next post, happy reading.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. I live/work near this school:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2008/nov/23/philip-pullman-school-library

    Sad to say, the school library did close, ensuring their pupils will leave for possibly College/Sixth form/Uni with no idea how to use an academic library for research & evaluation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What puzzles me is that kids now have all the technology at their fingertips to read, to find everything out for themselves - as well as State Libraries (here we have in Queensland) and yet they aren't given the knowledge on how to use those resources.

      With libraries and bookstores closing left and right, we will have a generation of children who won't know what these places are; or that they existed in the first place. This is something which really makes me sad.
      I have always told my niece that - if she can't find out what she wants to find from her teachers or anyone around her - to go to a library and look it up in a book as books normally have the best information around. Computers and the internet can have all the wrong information from all the wrong sources.
      The more we inform our children where to get the right information - and how to get it - the better-informed they will be.

      Delete