Sunday, July 22, 2012

Bookcrossing Meet-Up in Brisbane

Today, I was out and about in Brisbane City; and it wasn't nice and sunny.  Instead it was Wintery and windy, but I didn't let that interfere with why I was there with my Mum.  We had been invited to a Bookcrossing Meet-Up at O'Malley's on the Queen Street Mall.  
But there were a few little glitches - like, for example, I forgot my keycard which had all my money on it!  Yep, I left it at home!  I didn't know I had done this until I stepped off the bus.  I knew I had forgotten something, I just didn't know what! Boy, did I feel dumb asking Mum for money!  But we didn't let this ruin our day.
We found O'Malleys and went down the steps into the basement bar where the atmosphere was totally Irish!  It was a great place with large television screens, a large bar, a window where you could order the biggest bloody Guinness pie you're likely to lay eyes on and an area called 'The Library' for us readers who want pint but also wish to catch up with our reading too.  And this is where our group gathered!  Mum and I unpacked our books soon after we introduced ourselves and settled in for a few hours of drinking and chatting about books, Bookcrossing and having a bite to eat.  
At around 3pm, we had all picked out our books, swapped them over and enjoyed ourselves - and eaten ourselves into a nice, sleepy stupor - but it was time to go home.  So, I packed up my blue trolley with our chosen books (and the books that were left over from what I had brought along) and Mum and I bid farewell to our new Bookcrossing friends.  I'm looking forward to our next meeting.  I'll take along more books to swap. Until my next post, Happy Reading!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like a lot of fun!! I've been to only one Bookcrossing meetup before and enjoyed it a lot. I've also bumped into other Bookcrossers at OBCZs dropping off books too.

    What is Guinness pie? It looks like our version of chicken or beef pot pies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O'Malley's makes the greatest guinness pie (Captivated Reader, it's a beef pie made with Guinness [beer]) and I absolutely love the decor in the place. If I went into the city more I'd definitely be sitting in the Library far more often eating TONS of pie and drinking plenty of cider!

    Oh, and I'm glad the Bookcrossing event went so well - even after you forgot your card at home (I hate when that happens!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, Mum was good about me not having money because she could see how peeved and embarrassed I was about it! I had gone to the trouble of moving money across that morning only to leave my keycard at home... silly me! Well, I will learn next time not to do that.
      While the other four ladies had the massive Guinness Pie each I had a small plate of potato wedges (as I'm vegetarian) and I couldn't get through those either; but they were nice, hot and delicious! :D

      Delete