Thursday, May 30, 2013

May Book Buys!

Man oh man! Have I been bad!  I've sinned... forgive me!  Now, last month, I only bought two books; and that was okay.  This month, I've fallen off the proverbial money/book-saving wagon worse than ever!  I bought books just because they were there!  Yeah, I did a Mount Everest on myself.  Well, except for one; I really wanted it because I actually wanted to own the copy for a long time - that particular copy - and I'm happy to say I went out to buy just that book.

Then my book-shopping just went off track in a big way!

Okay.  I'll start at the beginning - a good place to start, isn't it?  As you know, I'm house sitting.  But the place I'm sitting is 5 minutes walk from 2 shopping centres which have a variety of places where books are sold at great prices.  How could I resist but to look at them... just to enjoy the feel of them, the smell of a new book off a shelf at The Book Warehouse at Arndale.  I was only at Arndale to pick up some last minute stuff and do a bank transfer at Suncorp (I bought some stuff at a sale on a friend's Facebook sale).  Then, what did I do?  I walked right into this store and looked around and found myself staring at 'The Greatest Show on Earth' by Richard Dawkins and asking if it was last copy they had (as the cover wasn't in great condition) and the lady said yes.  So, I picked that up and looked around.  I found myself a copy of 'The Essential Jung' Selected by Anthony Storr and then found 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat' by Oliver Sacks.  Within an hour, spent around $30!  Damn!  What was I thinking?  I promised myself that I wouldn't do that again; that I had enough books back at home in my little townhouse to read.

Then, yesterday, I did it again.  I went out looking for something and found it at Target and then, I walked around to their book section - just to peruse and that was going to be all! I promised myself - but I ended up picking up 'The Honey Queen' by Cathy Kelly and '1 Base, 100 Pizzas' by Rachel Carter.  Then at the Centro Newsagents, I bought a fantastic copy of 'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu (translated by J.Trapp).  

Not only did I have these real, traditional books in my hot little hands this month, but I also have a couple of downloads on my iPod.  One is free; and my own publication 'Graveyard Shift' from Bibliotastic.com which I published in December 2011 - and it's still there if you'd like to have a read of it - and I thought to nab a copy of it.  Then, I scored myself a voucher from Paul D. Dail for his new book 'The Imaginings' on Smashwords; which I used here at my folks place - as I needed to be somewhere where there was wifi to be able to access it with my iPod.  
So, were you good this month?  Or did you lash out and buy up a bookstore - or break your budget like I did? - just because it was all there to be bought up?  Until my next post, happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment