Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Midday Movie

I've been doing a lot of reading and a fair bit of taking it easy since my surgery.  However, the main thing I've been doing is watching the midday movie during the last few days while I'm knitting away here on the lounge.  Not only has my healing gone faster, but I've watched two movies which were taken from books; rather successfully too.
The first one was 'Confessions of a Shopoholic' which was taken from a book of the same name by Sophie Kinsella.  This book was set in the UK and yet the movie was set in New York City; however the transition was almost seamless.  But I think if the movie had been set in London, it still would have had the same impact and the same humour as it did as it did when it was set in NYC.  I enjoyed the book completely and found it hilarious - even though it's not the usual book I'd normally read; and Sophie did hit the nail on the head with everything to do with being a shopoholic.

The next movie I watched was yesterday. It was 'The Small Voice' set in the UK; and filmed in Wales in 1949 in black and white; and the book was by Robert Westerby.  And even though it was an old film, some of the actors were a little stiff in their portrayal of some of the characters; however, it was a great storyline.  I enjoyed it completely and loved how it flowed.  And despite it only having three stars, it really should have had four as it was filmed about something none of them could see, and yet, everyone had - a conscience.  And the best thing about this movie was that there were three or so other sub-plots that were all tied up at the end of the movie which didn't go until 2pm, and yet it still had advert breaks.  

So, have you come across any movies that were made from books that were just as good as the books - or made the transitions as seemlessly as possible?  Or have the directors and screeenwriters missed - and still miss - something that authors are trying to get across?  Well, until my next post, happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment