Wednesday, July 31, 2013

July Book Buys!

This month, I've had access to a car.  However, I haven't been out driving to shopping centres as much as I thought I would be.  This is because Garden City brought in paid parking this month where you could park there for the first 3 hours for free, and then had to pay after that... and this sucks if you wish to spend the day there and want to take your car instead of waiting for a bus; or if a bus doesn't go around your way.
Anyway, I stuck around my own area and found cool books to purchase during this month at great prices; and I didn't have to pay for parking.  Very cool!  The first book I bought was 'How to Survive the Titanic or The Sinking of J Bruce Ismay' by Frances Wilson.  This book is about the man who designed the ill-fated ocean liner and what happened to him; as he didn't go down with the Titanic.  Instead he jumped into a life boat with the women and children and survived.  I thought it would make a good read about what happened to him. I purchased this hardcover edition on 19/7/2013 for $8.00... not a bad price.

Then my second purchase was found at my craft group this past Monday (29/7/2013) where some books were laid out on the table to be sold.  So, not being one to pass up this chance, I thought it would be good to have a look at what was there and found 'Coldheart Canyon: A Hollywood Ghost Story' by Clive Barker.  I paid $2.00 for it and it's a whopper of a book at 606 pages and about an aspiring actor from Ohio who heads off to Hollywood to make his mark in the movies, but he gets used up quickly.  So, he thinks that getting plastic surgery would fix is problems; but when it all goes wrong very quickly, he runs away to Coldheart Canyon, he learns there's people there who teach him about the bitter life that comes after fame and the loss of fortune.  It looks like a good read.  

So, what have you found recently?  Leave a comment and let us know.  Until my next post, take happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment