Saturday, April 5, 2014

Guidelines to Writing - According to Stephen King

Stephen King is one of my favourite writers.  I've been reading his stuff since I was 16 when I first picked up 'Christine' and his words scared me so badly I couldn't turn out the light for around 2 months.

Thanks Steve... really, thanks.  

Great writers can make you do anything from what happened to me when I was 16, to making sure all the wardrobe doors are closed.  And yes, that happened to me when I was around 35 years old and I read 'Night Shift' and I came across 'The Boogeyman'.  Soon after I read that story, I had a boyfriend stay over and he laughed at me for wanting my wardrobe door closed completely, then I got him to read that story.  The moment he finished it, he got up and made sure all the doors around the house were closed - not just the doors in the room we were in!  Then, he wouldn't let me turn out the bedside lamp... 

So, sometimes, it gets us all thinking how a great writer like Stephen King writes great works like he does - and still keeps coming up with new work all the time.  Well, there's a list that's been running around of the 20 guidlines he lives by as a writer.  And the link is here for you all to look at.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.  Until my next post, happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment