Thursday, May 29, 2014

We Have All Lost Maya Angelou

This morning, I opened my facebook page to read that one of the greatest authors, poets, teachers and human rights activists has passed away just yesterday aged 86.

Maya Angelou was the first African American woman to rise from a childhood of poverty and into the ranks of recognition in the literary world - and more.  She penned more than thirty books; however she was best known for her ground-breaking autobiography:  'I Know Why the Cage Bird Sings'.  She had a miraid of jobs surrounding the theatre and club scene before writing her first book in the 1970's; and this book brought her name into the literary mainstream.

Tribute to Maya Angelou 

Personally, I had heard of Maya Angelou when I was in high school, however never had the opportunity to read her work.  As years passed by, I found her book on Bookcrossing and ask if I could borrow the book or become a member on a book reading ring.  When I did get to read the book, 'I Know Why The Cage Bird Sings', I found it was wonderfully written and couldn't put it down.  I think we will all miss Maya Angelou for her writing, her poetry and her presence in this world... there will be no other writer or person like her again to grace this planet or time as we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment