Sunday, March 22, 2015

What I Got My Nose Into!

In the past week, I've been working on quite a few things for my Crafty Pegs Hobby Business.  So, reading has taken a back seat for little while; but not totally.

After the funny parody I wrote about 'Jaws', I looked for the book in my collection that night and have been reading a few pages of it each night before bed... and it's more detailed than I thought it would be.
I'm only a few chapters in, and I'm thinking that the film has only covered a tiny fraction of what Peter Benchley had written about the Great White Sharks.  His prose isn't stunning, but it pulls me along in such a way that I have read ten pages without realising it.  The dialogue in this book isn't snappy or anything you'd be able to quote - unlike the movie - however, it makes me feel as though I'm watching the whole story unfold; as though I'm a fly on the wall and a bona fide guest into the mind of this author.  I feel honoured to be part of this story, and yet it's being shown to be bit by bit, instead of being thrown at me.  I love how this is set out.

All this from only about three chapters of the book; and I haven't really made a dent.  Yes, this book has impressed me so far.  It's a book from the 1970's.  Yes, it's was a debut book for its author where it was  greatly unrecognised for its ability to go further than it did (it was knocked off the #1 spot by 'Watership Down' so didn't get to be in hardcover).  And the movie didn't do it justice.  

I have found a great article about 'Jaws' and how the movie differs markedly from the book here so have a read of it and let me know what you think of it; as I found it very indepth and caused me pause to think about how I'm going to approach the book now.  So, what are you reading at the moment?  I'd love to see what you're all up to now, as the seasons change.  Until my next post, happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment